Friday, February 22, 2013

Food Review: Hyotan Japanese Restaurant, Subang Jaya

Since the crisper was empty yet again and with no time to head to the grocery store, Mama Carrie raised the thought aloud of either catching a meal outside or be holed up inside and bury our faces in baguette sandwiches.

I chose the former, suggested an old Japanese haunt of ours: Hyotan Restaurant. Back in the day, we used to dine here at least once a month when someone (not me) had a serious craving for their potato salad and soft shell crab.

A word with the waitress revealed that the former Japanese partner used to manage a nearby restaurant (Shun) but eventually partnered up with someone else to open and manage Hyotan. I've not seen the local business partner; it's always the Japanese guy that we seemed to run to then, but he has since retired and returned to Tokyo with his wife.


The sushi bar


The menu


California Roll


Close-up of California Roll


Grilled Fish Skin w/ Shoyu

Crispiness was what I tasted after the first bite, and pleasing to the palate even without dipping the shoyu.

The skin, on the other hand, has to be either from eel or salmon. I can't think of other fishes.


Oyako Don w/ Miso

A comfort food for the starving tummy. The overall taste was perfect; it contained a balance of sweet and salty without overpowering the buds with either taste.

Everything about Hyotan Restaurant remained the same: the food is as delicious as ever, although I'm not sure if they have skimmed down on the portions due to rising costs and the employees? Ah, they are still the same people that I am familiar with.

Let's see, will I dine here again?

Even though it was a pricey meal, I'll be sure to patronize the restaurant again - but only when I'm craving and missing their oyako don.

Address: No. 63, Jln SS 15/5A,
47500 Subang Jaya,
Selangor

Tel: 03-5636 0326 / 03-5635 0328

Business Hours: 12pm - 2.30pm (Lunch), 6pm - 10.30pm (Dinner)

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think the head chef insisted on neat presentation, suituapui, but I didn't ask if the head chef is the Japanese guy or a local person, though.

      Here's the price for each dish:
      California Roll: RM 14 (RM 7 each; we ordered two)
      Ocha: RM 4 (by the teapot)
      Oyako Don: RM 20
      Grilled Skin: FOC, on the house.

      Total amount paid was RM 44.10 (inclusive of 6% GST and 10% Service Charge)

      Delete
  2. Not too bad a place. In fact we were there recently after our meeting in USJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it is a nice restaurant, Eve. The employees are quite friendly too. =D

      Delete
  3. I'm a fan of Japanese food too! Glad you've enjoyed the meal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, glad to know that. =)

      It's such a pity that it is a cuisine that I can only occasionally splurge in.

      Delete
  4. Grilled fish skin sounds pretty good actually, be it eel or salmon. Tuna? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be, Huai Bin, but I forgot to ask the waitress. >.<

      I don't think they'll use tuna skin, though.

      Delete
  5. mmm, a nice reminder of the japanese restaurants that have managed to cultivate a long, loyal following in this part of subang. i used to have a friend who lived in usj, so i'd come here quite regularly to have dinners at these restaurants, but it's been quite awhile now, and it's good to see that they're still alive and well =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see, Sean. I used to do that too; having regular dinners there and cajoling Papa Carrie to swallow the expensive bill. And it didn't help that we lived pretty near to both restaurants.

      Hmm, I can only guess the Subangites love Japanese cuisine a lot. =D

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You must, Yum List.

      There are tasty outlets here that are worth exploring. =D

      Delete
  7. pricey? then it would be a big turn down for me. but for first time i guess is okay. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if you compare it with Kampachi, Henry, Hyotan is still cheaper.

      Well, you could treat it as splurging yourself after a hard time at work? =)

      Delete

Please refrain from using foul languages - or I'll not hesitate to delete the comment. If you don't see your comments, please inform me about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...